We are delighted to announce the opening of the 2018 LGFA Gaelic4Girls and Gaelic4Teens Programmes!
What is Gaelic4Girls?
In 2013, the Gaelic4Girls programme was revamped and re-launched with the aim of making the programme more attractive to clubs, to assist any struggling clubs, established clubs looking to expand their numbers at underage level or any potential areas where new clubs may evolve. The programme has proven to be a very useful tool for our clubs in terms of strengthening their underage structures by recruiting new players. Most Clubs have experienced at least a 50% retention rate of the new players following the programme. Any Club can apply to be a part of the programme and criteria has been outlined in the information booklet below and it’s up to a Club to justify why they should be chosen.
What are the aims of the Gaelic4Girls Programme?
- To increase the numbers of girls playing Ladies Gaelic football in a club.
- To provide a fun, 12 week programme of Ladies Gaelic Football activities to attract girls aged 8 – 12 to the club.
- To support a Club in increasing their number of players, and integrate those new players into existing teams.
- To develop athletic and social skills for girls in a safe and nurturing environment.
What are the benefits of running Gaelic4Girls in your Club?
- Participation levels will be increased.
- Free training will be provided to the Coaches and Co-ordinator in your Club.
- Resources will be provided to your Club to market and advertise the Programme.
- There is the potential for your club to become a more vibrant, active part of the local community through enhanced participation.
What is Gaelic4Teens?
Gaelic4Teens is a participation based initiative run over 8 weeks aimed at increasing the retention rate of teenage girls aged 15-17 years in clubs. It is essential to create a clear player pathway in every club and it is vital that all clubs invest time in recruiting and retaining teenage girls in their structures. Through the Gaelic4Teens initiative clubs are provided with a new and fun avenue to retain these players usually subject to an increased level of dropout.
What are the aims of the Gaelic4Teens Programme?
- To increase the retention rates of teenage girls playing Ladies Gaelic football in a club
- To provide a unique programme of Ladies Gaelic Football activities to attract girls aged 15-17 years
- To educate coaches in relation to the needs and interests of teenage girls in sport
- To develop athletic and social skills for girls in a safe and nurturing environment
What are the benefits of running Gaelic4Teens in your Club?
- FREE training will be provided to the Coaches and Co-ordinator in your Club
- Resources will be provided to your Club to market and advertise the Programme
- Coaching structures across the teams of this age group in your club will be improved
- Club will be invited to attend National Gaelic4Teens Day
What clubs may apply for the programmes?
Any club interested in putting emphasis on either age group and enthusiastic about ensuring the correct structures are in place in their club to recruit and retain these players.
How can clubs apply?
Clubs have between now and January 24 to apply. Following this, the County Development Officer, Provincial Development Officer and a member of the National Development Team, will discuss the applications and decide together, which sites are the most appropriate. There are a limited number of places available for both programmes.
To apply on behalf of your club simply read the information booklet to ensure you are aware of what each programme entails and then complete the application form below in relation to your province and return to the relevant provincial development officer.