In all 12 Colleges are represented in this years All Stars and Rising Stars selection whom were picked from teams who reached the 30th O’Connor Cup weekend which was hosted by GMIT Mayo and took place at the Connacht Centre of Excellence in Bekan as well as a number of venues across Mayo.
The 30th celebrations were reason enough for ensuring that for the first time all Colleges across the six divisions were invited to the weekend, which features the All Ireland finals.
This was something Chairperson of the Ladies Football Higher Education Committee Fiona Hudson was delighted about.
“It was the right thing to do to recognise the efforts of all the levels and it was something that we were very conscious of, especially on our 30th year”
In all 24 teams took part over the weekend with over 950 players attending including a player from each county in Ireland as well as five International clubs having players among the ranks of the colleges.
The current Dublin player also extended her congratulations to the winners saying, “It was a great reward and achievement to be recognised. We are delighted to be able to facilitate such a reward scheme, which looks at the quality of the player”.
This is the first time that players from the Lagan, Donaghy and Moynihan Championships have received recognition in a newly introduced Rising All Star Awards.
Chairperson of the Selection Committee Donal Barry praised the efforts of selectors on the ground who attended each of the 18 games played over the three days. “The selected teams are reflected of a choice of a wide spectrum of selectors, whom among them are current and former managers, players, referees and officials and like all selections will create plenty of debate”.
All Stars 2017
- Lisa Crowley (UL) Cork
- Laurie Ryan (UL) Clare
- Marie Ambrose (UCC) Cork
- Eimear Meaney (UCC) Cork
- Caoimhe McGrath (UL) Waterford
- Roisin Phelan (UCC) Cork
- Joanne Cregg (UL) Roscommon
- Louise Ward (UL) Galway
- Niamh Cotter (UCC) Cork
- Eimear Scally (UL) Cork
- Doireann O’Sullivan (UCC) Cork
- Mairead Daly (WIT) Offaly
- Rosemary Courtney (Athlone IT) Monaghan
- Aisling McCarthy (UL) Tipperary
- Sarah Rowe (DCU) Mayo
Rising All Stars 2017
Picked from performances over the weekend involving teams in the Lagan, Donaghy and Moynihan Cups.
- Hannah Hayes (Maynooth University 2) Waterford
- Danielle Caldwell (Cavan Institute) Mayo
- Hayley Kilgallon (UCD 3) Sligo
- Melissa Duggan (Royal College Surgeons Ireland) Cork
- Máire Kehoe (Marino) Meath
- Rochelle Mullaney (GMIT Galway) Roscommon
- Aoife Landers (Marino) Dublin
- Aoife Keyes (UCD 3) Dublin
- Erin Coyle (GMIT Galway) Galway
- Rebecca McDonald (IT Blanchardstown) Dublin
- Alice McNally (IT Blanchardstown) Dublin
- Sarah Powderly (Marino Institute) Meath
- Julianne Hayes (Royal College Surgeons Ireland) Cork
- Ciara Gorman (GMIT Galway) Sligo
- Shauna Garvin (UCD 3) Dublin
Each player will receive a once off special Rising All Star football jersey to mark her achievement on the 30th anniversary of Higher Education Committee Ladies Football.