“Remember that just as football is a team sport on the pitch it is also a team sport off the pitch.”
Volunteers are the most valuable asset to any club and it is essential that clubs value the time and dedication shown by these people throughout the country. A volunteer is someone who gives time, energy and talents to others, expecting nothing in return. Volunteering is about giving your time to partake in activities that benefit others but the most important thing to remember is that people should have fun and enjoy their role as a volunteer.
Why do People Volunteer?
- Because they were ASKed
- Because they, their friends or family are involved in the sport
- To meet new people or develop new social networks
Download our Volunteer Charter (PDF, 133KB)
What is the Ready Steady Coach Recruitment Programme?
This is an initiative to increase participation of ‘helpers’ within clubs. The programme aims to guide new coaches through the basics of becoming involved with your local club and assisting with a volunteer role through coaching. A ‘Buddy’ System is used to incorporate new volunteers into the club and they teamed up with current mentors in the club. The programme takes place over 2 1/2 hours in your club.
How much does this programme cost?
Ready Steady Coach fee is €100, 2 x cheques for €50 and refund of €50 will be returned to your club after the programme if all specified criteria as per number of participants are met. Venue and refreshments cost if applicable.
What steps does your Club take to Organise Ready Steady Coach?
- Choose a suitable date to run this in your club
- Reserve your venue (eg. large meeting room, sports hall)
- Contact Aislinn Harkin (details below) to ensure date available and book date for the programme
- Advertise Ready Steady Play in your club and encourage mentors of all your teams to identify possible volunteers. Many of these people stand on the sideline and watch training sessions and matches but are never asked to get involved
- Tutor will contact club to confirm numbers 3/4 days before programme
- Programme takes place and new volunteers are ‘buddied’ with existing mentors to get involved in the club
If you would like to organise a Ready Steady Coach Programme in your club please contact:
Aislinn Harkin at (01) 8363156 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org