TG4 Senior quarter final

Dublin bowed out of the TG4 Senior championship on Saturday last in Hyde Park, Roscommon, when they went head to head against a strong and determined Tyrone side. Unfortunately the game never really lived up to the epic clash that was predicted.
Dublins last competitive game took place on13th of July last when they won the senior Leinster title, however in a rain soaked Hyde Park on Saturday last they presented with all the signs and symptoms of a team that have been left on the waiting list for far too long, they lacked the hunger, passion, and the accuracy in their passing, infact they never really got their own high tempo hand passing game up to the high work rate of the team from the North.
Dublin took the lead for the one and only time in the fourteenth minute when Lindsey Davey hand passed the ball over the Tyrone bar to put the Dubs one point ahead (0-2 to 0-1).but it was not long before Gemma Begley restored order with a point and Aisling Hagan followed up with goal a minute later when she collected a pass from Eilish Gormley and her lobbed shot from out on the right sailed in over Cliondha O’Connor to lodge in the back of the Dublin net, to register 1-2 to 0-2 on the electronic score board.
Tight marking by the Tyrone backs meant that Dublins shining light, Sinead Ahern was reduced to taking her seven point tally from place kicks.
Both Dublin and Tyrone lost the services of Clara Murphy and Eimear Teague respectively in the twenty fifth minute, when referee Liam McDonagh sent both Girls to the sin bin after consulted with his umpires and linesperson.
While Tyrones Gemma Begley came into this game with a dangerous reputation for causing upsets and she did not disappoint, Begley scored five points (four from frees), and was the play maker in numerous other important Tyrone scores, in particular Tyrones second goal that was dilivered just on the stroke of half time, when Begley off loaded a short free to Aisling Gormley, and Gormley picked out player of the match Lynette Hughes, Hughes fired the ball past Dublin keeper Cliondha O’Connor to put seven points between the sides at the break (0-3 to 2-4).
Like the wind and heavy rain in the second period, the Tyrone team never let up, they were on top both mentally and physically through out the game, Cathy Donnelly pointed to open Tyrones second half account, Ahern responded in the second and third minute with two points, before Gemma Begley pointed after receiving a return pass from Aisling McCloskey to keep the gap to seven points ( 0-5 to 2-6). however Begley, Hughes, and Donnelly cut Dublin adrift with five points on the trot, giving the girls from the capital no chance of getting back into the game.
Dublins Ann Marie Murphy capitilised on a mistake in the Tyrone backs, fisting the ball into the Tyrone net to notched up a consolation goal just as the referee called for the ball.
While Dublin reflect on what could have been, Tyrone must prepare for their semi-final game against the reigning all Ireland champions Cork, the rebels have their sights set on reaching their fourth all Ireland final in a row, however the red hand county may have the “final” say, this time round.
Dublin scorers: Sinead Ahern 0-7, Niamh Hurley 0-1, Lynsey Davey 0-1 Ann Marie Murphy 1-0.
Tyrone scorers: Gemma Begley 0-5, Aisling Hagan 1-0, Eislish Gormley 0-1, Lynette Hughes 1-1, Cathy Donnelly 0-3, Caitriona McGahon 0-1f, Clare McAliskey 0-1.
Referee: Liam McDonagh (Sligo).

(Mick Forde. Leinster Pro Ladies Gaelic Football 087-6422658)

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs