2024 TG4 All-Ireland Finals tickets

Leinster Junior Club Final 2009

Leinster Junior Club Final 2009 review
(Michael Forde Leinster PRO)
(Saturday 24th Oct.)
St. James (Wexford) v Castlemitchell (Kildare)

1-7 0-8

St. James updated the Wexford history books when their captain Aisling Mullan lifted the Leinster Junior club championship title, after they defeated a gallant Castlemitchell side. The last Wexford club team to bring the Leinster junior title back to the Model County was Tara-Rocks , who beat Cooley of Louth back in 1996.
On Saturday last in Eire Og GAA club in Carlow, both sides battled through poor weather conditions, however the inclement weather did not deter supporters from both clubs from turning out in large numbers to watch a great game of football.
Although St. James elected to play with a strong breeze in the first half, they had to work extremely hard to gain a two point advantage at the break ( 0-5 to 0-3), Nicola Sourke opened Castlemitchell’s account in the third minute, however their next score would not come until the twenty fourth minute, when their top scorer Mary Lawless fired over two points to close the gap to a single point (0-4 to 0-3). Lawless was very unlucky not to add a goal to her tally, when her rocket like shot rebounded off Marie McDonalds upright, and was cleared from the danger zone by Cait Hayes.
St. James number Eleven Maebh Kehoe open her sides account in the third minute, with Player of the match Sonja Murphy notching up four of the five points in the first period to give the Wexford club side a narrow two point margin at the half time interval.
It was all to play for in the second period, Castlemitchell had the support of a strong tail wind, Mary lawless added a further two points to draw the sides level for the second time in the game, with five points apiece. Brid Doyle put St James a point ahead after she collected a short free from Sonja Murphy, a move straight off the training ground, however a pointed free from Lawless kept the Kildare club side in touch.
With the sides deadlocked and just seven minute remaining on the clock, a massive cheer went up from the Castlemitchell supporters, when Laura Pender fired her side into the lead with an excellent point. Minutes later it was the turn of the St. James supporters to raise the roof when Sonja Murphy soloed through the Castlemitchell defence to level the scores for the third time, with the clock now ticking in the red, and as both sets of supporters and mentors were preparing for extra time, the final twist came minutes from full time when Murphy found team mate Maebh Kehoe and although Kehoe dropped the ball she managed to get a nip on the ball to push it past Castlemitchell keeper Laura Fennelly to give the Wexford club a three point cushion.
Although the end was imminent Castlemitchell continued to press, Aoife May tagged on a point, and their final chance came in the dying seconds when they were awarded a 13m free in front of goals, Mary Lawless faced nine players in the St.James Goals and she needed a goal, but unfortunately for Castlemitchell the ball was cleared as referee Tommy O’Donohue called for the ball. St. James victorious captain Aisling Mullan was presented with the cup by Leinster secretary Cathal Friel, while Sonja Murphy collected the player of the match award.

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs