All the latest from the Connacht Schools

All the latest From the Connacht Schools


Pat the Baker Connacht Post primary Senior B final

St Joseph’s Summerhill 1-9 St Brigid’s Tuam 2-6 By Mike
McCartney , Sports editor Athlone Voice, in Johnstown.

A point from Summerhill’s Sarah Finnerty in the 72nd minute
forced a replay of the Connacht ladies senior B final in
a cold and wet Johnstown. The wind was a dominant factor
and aided the Galway side in the opening half as they opened
up a four-point lead at the break. It took Tuam three and
a half minutes to open their account when full forward Lisa
Walsh pointed a free after Deirdre Brennan was fouled. Brigid’s
mounted another attack but Walsh’s effort only reached goalkeeper
Grace O’Brien who held the ball safely. Another free and
another Lisa Walsh point followed before Jenny Downey pointed
a free after she was fouled. Apart from the strong wind,
Summerhill were finding it hard to get past defenders Patricia
Murphy and Siofra O’Brien. The game had reached the 19th
minute when Westmeath referee Des McEnery had no option
but to award a penalty after Aimee Brennan was taken down
and Irish soccer international goalkeeper Sarah Finnerty
volunteered to be the goalkeeper, but even she couldn’t
save the efforts of Lisa Walsh as the ball rested in the
back of the Summerhill net. Two minutes later Maria Hernon
added another point. St Joseph’s missed two more opportunities
of a second score before Jenny Downey availed of the opportunity
when she was presented with a free from twenty three metres
to leave the scores 1-3 to 0-2 at the break.

Three minutes after the restart Aine O’Brien narrowed the
gap to three after taking a pass from Aimee Brennan. Roisin
Dunning was called in for Brid Curley and when Jenny Downey
collected a pass she found Aine O’Brien who drove to the
back of the Tuam net. Summerhill were now on fire and went
ahead for the first time a minute and a half later when
Jenny Downey pointed from play and she put three behind
the sides in the 37th minute. However momentum was broken
after half back Louise Igoe was sin binned as the game ended
the third quarter and within three minutes Brigid’s had
found the Summerhill net after the defence failed to clear.
A free from Jenny Downey restored the Summerhill lead and
the Tuam side was also reduced to fourteen when defender
Patricia Murphy saw yellow. A Lisa Walsh free had the sides
back on level terms before Ashling O’Neill hit back. Midfielder
Michele Molloy gave the visitors the lead with two minutes
of normal time remaining before Sarah Finnerty rescue the
day with the equalizing point in the third minute of injury
time. The Athlone side went all out for the winner and when
the Brigid’s goalkeeper had deflected the ball wide, the
referee blew his whistle stating the time was up.

St Joseph’s Summerhill 1-9 Grace O’Brien, Arlene Egan, Carmel
Kileen, Leanne O’Brien, Louise Igoe, Ruth Finglas, Aishling
Gately, Claire Shanagher, Aimee Brennan (Sinead Fallon 56
mins), Ciara Fallon, Aine O’Brien 1-1, Sarah Finnerty 0-1,
Aishling O’Neill 0-1, Jenny Downey 0-6 (2f), Brid Curley

St Brigid’s 2-6 Marion Murray,Patricia Murphy, Louise Moggan,
Chloe Maloney, Siofra O’Brien, Marian Hernon 0-1, Chloe
Ferrick, Michelle Molloy 0-1, Amy Finnerty, Lisa Kelly,
Ashling Mannion, Caroline Burke 1-0, Deirdre Brennan, Lisa
Walsh 1-4 (pen 4f), Sarah Gleeson


SEMI-FINAL VENUE: Frenchpark DATE: 27/02/07

Ballinamore PPS vs St. Joseph’s Castlebar @12pm Despite
heavy overnight rain this game was played @ 12pm in Frenchpark
on agreement between both managers and referee, Dermot Walshe.
While the conditions were challenging to say the least both
teams served up a cracker with the game on a knife edge
up to the final whistle. Ballinamore captain, Clare Fanning
won the toss and opted to play against a very strong breeze
and driving rain in the first half. Both teams had grown
familiar with each other having played just 3 weeks earlier
in a Senior C semi-final which Castlebar winning by a convincing
margin at the finish. The Castlebar team started very brightly
and it looked if Ballinamore were in for another torrid
afternoon. Castlebar got off to a great start with a goal
from their full forward after a lapse by the Ballinamore
defence. However Ballinamore showed their spirit which never
left them the whole day by scoring 2 frees from Sheila Walsh
at full forward. Castlebar responded with a quick point
only for Ballinamore to score a well taken goal from the
impressive Siobhan Mc Cartin. In a see-saw match Castlebar
got another goal which was quickly responded too by a goal
from Sheila Walsh after she charged down the goalkeeper’s
attempted clearance and had a simple tap in for a much needed
goal for Ballinamore. This seemed to drive on Castlebar
and they finished the half strongly scoring a further 2
goals and a point to leave them 8 points ahead on a half
time score line of 4:4 to 2:2.

Indeed they could have being further ahead had they taken
their chances and some good Ballinamore defending. In the
second half the question was whether Ballinamore could close
out Castlebar and make up the defecit of 8 points. At half
time Catherine Holohan moved to centre forward with Katie
Duignan moving to centre back. Siobhan Mc Cartin moved to
full forward with Sheila Walsh moving to corner forward.
Niamh Mc Govern came into goals after 20 mins of the first
half. Ballinamore enjoyed much more possession in the second
half and Clare Plunkett scored a good early point which
was followed by an oppurtunist goal from Deborah Gilheaney
from a free bick to leave only 4 between the sides. After
12 mins of the second half a further Sheila Walsh point
and a great goal from Siobhan Mc Cartin saw Ballinamore
unbelievably back on level terms. Castlebar proved their
mettle and lifted the siege with 2 great points but a fine
individual goal from Clare Plunkett who had worked tirelessly
throughout saw Ballinamore edge in front for the first time
with 10 mins to go.Castlebar equalised but the cool head
of Clare Plunkett slotted over 2 very good frees to see
Ballinamore 2 points in front. Ballinamore must surely have
felt their luck was in when Castlebar hit a penalty wide
at this stage. A nasty hand injury to Deborah Gilheaney
saw her forced to come off after a fine performance on 57
mins to be replaced by Roisin McTeague. In the closing 6
mins ( 3 mins injury ) Castlebar threw everything at Ballinamore
but somehow they managed to hold out for a hard fought victory.

Ballinamore were mighty relieved to hear the final whistle
but sheer guts and belief saw them hold out. Sincere commiserations
to Castlebar on their brave effort and we wish them all
the best in the Senior C final. Best for Ballinamore were
Niamh McGovern, Rachael Doonan, Leanne McGrath, Catherine
Holohan, Lauren McGrory, Clare Plunkett, Gillian Leyden,
Siobhan Mc Cartin, Deborah Gilheaney and Sheila Walsh

TEAM AND SCORERS: Loise Farry, Claire Fanning, Leanne McGrath,
Rachael Doonan, Lauren Mc Grory, Catherine Holohan, Katie
Duignan, Claire Plunkett ( 1:3 ), Gillian Leyden, Deborah
Gilheaney ( 1:0 ), Siobhan Mc Cartin ( 2:0 ), Josephine
Maguire, Ciara Mc Loughlin, Sheila Walsh ( 1:3 ), Ciara
O Dowd, Niamh McGovern, Roisin McTeague ( 4th yr ), Anya
Gilheany, Aisling Maxwell, Megan McGirl, Sinead Flynn, Ciara
Martin, Roisin Mc Teague ( 2nd yr. ), Catriona Doonan, Emma
Bohan. We now play Mt. St. Michael, Claremorris in the final
on Wed. 14/03/07 in Frenchpark at 12.oopm.

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs