Bord Gáis Energy National Ladies Football League Div. 2 Round 7

Bord Gáis Energy National Ladies Football League Div. 2 Round 7


Sligo 3-7 Clare 2-7

A goal from Stephanie O’Reilly seven minutes in to injury time in what was the last attack of the game gave Sligo a one point win over Clare in Round 7 of the Bord Gáis Energy National Ladies Football League at Tubbercurry on Sunday last. It was a cruel blow to Clare who needed to win to retain their position in Div. 2 for next season. 

Overall, Clare were the better team in the first half enjoying a greater share of possession and were full value for their three point interval lead, all of their scores coming from play.


A goal from Louise Henchy who played her heart out gave the visitors a tonic start with only three minutes played. By the eight Aine Kelly had extended the lead with a fine point. Noelle Gormley who finished the game with four pointed frees converted Sligo’s opening score in the thirteenth and five minutes later Stephanie O’Reilly found the Clare net with the games equalising score following a long solo run by her mid field colleague Siobhan O’Sullivan.


Niamh Keane put Clare ahead with a long range point after Louise Henchy had given her a perfect pass from a placed ball. Emma O’Driscoll kept Clare in the game with a superb save and Eimear Considine who was one of Clare’s stars on the day finished the half with two points from play and so at the interval Clare lead 1-4 to 1-1. Late in the half the Clare management introduced Michelle Delaney at left half back for Ciara Cleary and Ailish Considine for the injured Marie Considine while Sarah Hoey replaced Niamh Greene at half time.


Despite trailing by three, Sligo really got down to business immediately from the throw in and with only six minutes played had turned the game around to now lead by three points. Full forward Noelle Gormley pointed a free and by the fourth the same player had her sides second goal to put them ahead by the minimum. A few missed chances proved costly for Clare including a free which hit the upright and an attempt for goal from Ailish Considine from an acute angle when she turned and shot low with her left foot accross the Sligo goal and wide. Further points from a Gormley free and one from midfielder Bernice Byrne put Sligo 2-4 to 1-4 ahead.


Clare had to wait until the eleventh minute of the half for corner forward Aine Kelly to raise a white flag before Grace Lynch came in to the attack for the injured Ailish Considine.

A superb long range free from the on form Louise Henchy who was now operating a centre field went all the way over to bring Clare to within a point. Katie Keoghan from West Clare Gaels came in to the side for Rachel Lenihan and with her first touch rattled the Sligo net when she availed of a ball that rebounded off the crossbar. This score put Clare ahead by two with seven minutes of normal time remaining.


Sligo attacked again and Clare conceeded a free which Noelle Gormley duly pointed but the next time the ball went back up the field Katie Keoghan who was operating at full forward tapped it over to restore the two point lead, Clare 2-7 Sligo 2-5 with the game heading to injury time. There had been a number of stoppages during the second half. As the game progressed to over six extra minutes Clare were doing their best to hold possession and had fourteen players in their own half. As Clare broke away with the ball possesion was lost and Sligo sent in a long high dropping well which Emma O’Driscoll is goals did so well to see and gather but as she cleared out to her right Stephanie O’Reilly somehow managed to win it and despite three Clare defenders around her managed a few solo’s before sending a pile driver to the Clare net. On the kick out Mel. Kenny blew the final whistle and the Clare players fell to the ground in huge disappointment when it looked like a few seconds previous the win would be theirs and considering that Meath had defeated Down they had done enough but not for the first time this year Clare were caught at the death.


For Clare Louise Henchy and Eimear Considine were outstanding while Emma O’Driscoll, Sinead Kelly and Aine Kelly also did well.


With the league now over for this year Clare will now turn their attention to the Munster Senior Championship in June when they face Tipperary in the semi final at a Clare venue.

Emma O’Driscoll (Banner Ladies), Sinead Eustace capt., (Coolmeen), Lorraine Kelly (Fergus Rovers), Laurie Ryan (Banner Ladies), Ciara Cleary (Coolmeen), Sinead Kelly (West Clare Gaels), Niamh Greene (Coolmeen), Eimear O’Connor (Coolmeen), Fiona Lafferty (St. Joseph’s – Miltown), Marie Considine (Liscannor), Louise Henchy 1-1 (1 f)(Banner Ladies), Niamh Keane 0-1, (Banner Ladies), Aine Kelly, 0-2 (Fergus Rovers), Eimear Considine 0-2, (Kilmihil), Rachel Lenihan (Crusheen)

Subs; Michelle Delaney (Banner Ladies) for C. Cleary (29th), Ailish Considine (Kilmihil) for M. Considine (inj). 31st, Sarah Hoey (Banner Ladies) for N. Greene (half time),

Grace Lynch (Coolmeen) for A. Considine (inj.), Katie Keoghan, 1-1 (West Clare Gaels) for R. Lenihan (49th)



Emma Cullen, Cammi Kennedy, Ciara Doyle, Eithne Flanagan, Ruth Gudwin, Tracy O’Hara, Fiona Maye, Siobhan O’Sullivan, Bernice Byrne 0-1, Elaine O’Reilly, Stephanie O’Reilly 2-0, Sinead McTiernan, Aine Gormley, Noelle Gormley 1-4 (0-4f), Nicola Fowley.


Ref: Mel. Kenny (Mayo)


Other Div. 2 Results

Meath 3-16 Down 2-9
Armagh 2-11 Tipperary 0-10
Kildare 1-16 Donegal 3-12


Div. 2 semi finals
Armagh v Kildare
Donegal v Meath

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs