All the latest news from Ulster

the latest news from Ulster


Round three of the Suzuki National league proved
to be a bad one for Ulster sides with five losing.
Waterford had three points to spare over Armagh
at Ballyboden. Playing with a strong wind the Deicies
lead at the break 1-4 to 0-4 and then added another
four points early in the third period. Armagh to
their credit battled back and hit an unanswered
1-4 to bring the sides level with 5 minutes remaining.
However Waterford hit the final three points of
the match to win 1-11 to 1-8.

Tyrone also lost to Southern opposition going down
to Mayo 3-7 to 1-9. The sides were level at half
time 1-8 to 3-2, Gemma Begley scoring the Tyrone
goal. The Red Hand girls were also dealt a blow
in the first half with Briege Daly taken to hospital
with an ankle injury. They tried hard in the second
half but had no luck. A penalty call was turned
down and they also hit the crossbar. Mayo went on
to win by four points.

Donegal claimed their first points of the campaign
with a 3-6 to 1-5 win over Roscommon. The Tir Chonnail
girls produced their best performance of the season
and goals from Niamh Hegarty and Sheila Campbell
(2) was the main difference between the sides.

Monaghan lost to Galway 0-13 to 1-7. The sides were
level 0-5 each at the break however the tribeswomen
did hit eleven wides compared to Monaghan’s two.
Galway started the second half brightly and scored
two early points before Grainne Mc Nally scored
the only goal of the game in the 35th minute to
give Monaghan the lead. Entering the third quarter
the sides were level again however Galway finished
strongest and three late frees from Sarah Cosgrove
gave them a deserved victory.

In Division 2 Cavan suffered their second consecutive
defeat this time at the hands of Longford 6-6 to
2-12. The foundation for the win was the first half
performance of Longford’s Denise Murtagh which seen
her contribute 2-5 to help her side to a fourteen
point interval lead. Cavan produced an excellent
second half to reduce the difference to just six

Down produced an excellent performance to beat Wexford
4-7 to 2-8. The sides were level at the break 1-5
each, Michaela Downey scoring the goal. Second half
goals from Kyla Trainor and Aileen Pyers (2) helped
secure the victory for the mourne girls.

Fermanagh lost their 100 percent record losing to
Leitrim 1-9 to 1-4. The Erne girls were slow to
start and didn’t score until twenty minutes into
the game. In the second half they pushed forward
however Leitrim managed to get a lot of players
behind the ball and made life difficult. Caroline
Little scored the Erne sides goal.

Shauna Vallely was the toast of Derry as her fifth
point, five minutes from time gave the Oak Leaf
side a share of the spoils with Antrim. The Saffrons
Aisling Reilly found the net in each half as the
sides drew 2-5 to 0-11.

And finally Monaghan’s B side had a hard earned
win over Meath’s second string 1-7 to 1-5. The Farney
side were two points down at half time and then
hit four points on the trot in the second half.
Meath were awarded a penalty late in the half which
they put over.

Paul Swift (Ulster PRO –

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs