Ballyboden St Endas march on

Senior AIB Leinster club semi finals
Ballyboden St Endas march on



Leinster Club championship semi final 2005 Clonee 1-5
Ballyboden St. Enda’s 2-12

A firework that exploded outside the grounds in Gorey
just before the start of the big game on Sunday last gave
the large crowd in attendance a sense of what was in store
on the pitch, unfortunately the Clonee girls could not
find the spark to kick start their game into action on
the day, despite being down by only a point at the break
(0-3 to 0-4), Clonee were unable to find a foothold in
the game and when Ballyboden stepped it up a gear in the
second half could only wonder at what went wrong. The
Dublin girls eventually romped home with a ten point winning

Clonee’s best period was probably in the the first half
of the game, it was tense but well contested by both sides
and this was reflected by the low score line at the break.
Una Lacey fired her side in to the lead after only three
minutes of play and two minute later Marian Brownrigg
in the Clonee goals denied Ballybodens number 10 Karen
Hopkins a certain goal, however a minute later Gemma Fay
tapped over to bring the sides level, the Dublin side
did not respond until the tenth minute had past, Natalie
Hyland opening the gap by single point. Just before the
first quarter was up Clonee lost the services of their
corner back Martina Murray with an ankle injury, Murray
was replaced by number 27 Cliona Walshe.

The Dublin side started to turn the screw in the second
quarter, Clonee’s full back line of Deirdre Burke, Mary
Leacy, and Cliona Walshe came under heavy pressure, working
extremely hard to keep the Dublin forwards at bay. Clonee’s
final scores before the break came from Caroline Murphy
and two within a minute from Liz Evered to leave one between
the sides at the break.

Clonee were first to raise the white flag in the second
half their top scorer Evered firing over to level the
match for the second time, but Ballyboden now had a strong
wind in their backs for the second half and hit over four
points in two minutes to knock the wind out of Clonee’s
sails, the Dubs continued their blitz into the final quarter
of the game scoring four more points in as many minutes
without reply.

The final nail in the coffin for Clonee came in the 27th
minute when referee Ciaran Groome awarded a penalty to
the visitors which was coolly dispatched by Louise Kelly
to the left of Clonee’s keeper, Clonee’s Josie Dwyer had
a consolation goal in injury time, at full time Clonee’s
mentor Larry Doyle wished the Ballyboden St. Enda’s girls
the best of luck in the final.

Clonee: Marian Brownrigg, Deirde Burke, Mary Leacy,
Martina Murray, Maire McDonald, Mary O’Neill, Linda Burke,
Caroline Murphy(0-1), Una Leacy, Liz Evered(0-4), Martina
O’Ryan, Georgina Moore, Ciara Scallan, Josie Dwyer(1-0),
Ali Evered Subs. Cliona Walshe for Martina Murray, Amanda
Davitt for Marie McDonald, Marie Claire Kinsella for Georgina
Ballyboden St. Enda’s. Suzanne Hughes, Aisling
Farrelly, Noelle Comyn, Tanya Allen(0-1), Sorcha Farrelly,
Joanne O’Sullivan, Gemma Fay(0-2), Fiona Corcoran(0-1),
Martina Farrell, Karen Hopkins(0-1), Louise Kelly(1-2),
Natalia Hyland(0-1), Orla Scollard, Diane Kelly, Sarah
Demvir(1-2).Subs.Claire Butterly for Diane Kelly, Susan
Hughes for Tanya Allen,Charlene McKenna, Joanne Cummins,
Amy Keane.
REFEREE: Ciaran Groome.

Michael Forde. 10 Lamberton Heights Arklow. Co Wicklow.

PRO Wicklow ladies football. 0402-39457 087-6422658.
e-mail 087-6422658


Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs