Banner Ladies 4 - 12 Miltown St. Joseph's 0 - 3

Clare Senior Championship Round 1

Date: Wednesday July 16th
Venue: Liscannor
Referee: Michael Talty

Banner Ladies 4 – 12 Miltown St. Joseph's 0 – 3

The Banner Ladies senior team set the Clare ladies football world buzzing with a blistering display in Liscannor to comprehensively defeat a shell shocked Miltown team. As the 2008 senior league winners the Ennis side were favourites entering this game but nobody expected the manner of their victory over the beaten 2007 championship finalists.

A tricky cross-field wind made things difficult for both sides but the Banner Ladies quickly adapted to the conditions and launched attack after attack on the Miltown goals. The Ennis side got a tonic start with a Naomi Carroll goal after just three minutes and were dominant thereafter. Miltown already looked in big trouble and but for poor shooting by the Banner Ladies could have been out of sight by the end of the first quarter. As it was the score was just 1-2 to 0-0 after fifteen minutes with the town side already having amassed seven wides. The two Banner Ladies points came from the boot of wing forward Niamh Keane. From here to the interval however the Banner Ladies forwards found their range and added six unanswered points before the interval. Two of these scores came from corner forward Megan Hough with wing forward Niamh O'Dea adding the other four.

Miltown were having great difficulty getting the ball forward as midfielders Sarah Hoey and Louise Henchy were dominating affairs in the middle of the park. Wing backs Michelle Delaney and in particular Niamh Cavanagh were also outstanding and easily snuffed out any Miltown threats. Thus on the short whistle the score read 1-8 to 0-0. So comprehensive was the Banner Ladies dominance in this first half that Miltown did not even register a wide although they had an effort come back off the post.

Miltown had a mountain to climb in the second period and there cause was further rocked when Niamh O'Dea and Louise Henchy scored two early points for the town side. A Karen Galvin pointed free on forty seven minutes was Miltown's first score of the game but six minutes later Niamh O'Dea completely ended the game as a contest with her sides second goal. Further Banner ladies goals were to come from substitutes Jackie Woods and Katie Cahill while Sarah Hoey also got her name on the scoresheet with a fine late point. All Miltown could offer was two late pointed frees and they were a dejected outfit when referee Michael Talty blew the full time whistle.

Banner Ladies: Irene hehir, Niamh Martin, Jane kennedy, Laurie Ryan, Niamh Cavanagh, Michele Delaney 9capt), Louise Woods, Sarah Hoey, Louise Henchy (0-1), Niamh O'Dea (1-6), Sonia Maher, Niamh Keane (0-2), Naomi Carroll (1-0), Claire Walsh, Megan Hough (0-2).
Subs: Katie Cahill (1-0), Jackie Woods (1-0)

Dr. Paul McKenna, Secretary / PRO Banner Ladies Football Club

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs