Clare .v. Cork Munster U - 14 A Semi-Final

Match Report Clare .v. Cork Munster U – 14
A Semi-Final

Clare 2 – 6 Cork 4 – 17


A Clare team bereft of any team tactics or footballing
guile were given a salutary lesson by Cork in what turned out
to be a very disappointing evening for the Banner girls. Clare
went into this game with high hopes of giving Cork a good run
for their money and their was an air that the gap so evident when
the teams met at a similar stage in last years championship would
at least be narrowed from the 2 – 12 to 2 – 4 scoreline on that

That Clare were routed by 3 – 11 to 1 – 1 in the second half
of Wednesday evening’s game shows that there is still a huge amount
of work still to be done at underage level in Clare to be able
to take on the likes of Cork.

To be fair Clare started brightly and wind assisted were 1 –
2 to 0 – 2 ahead after fifteen minutes. All Clare’s scores came
from excellent full forward Megan Hough. Clare added further points
from Hough in the 17th, 19th, 20th and 26th minutes to open up
a 1 – 5 to 0 – 3 advantage. Things were looking reasonably good
at this stage but then Cork upped their game and scored 1 – 3
without reply before half time to lead at the interval by 1 –
6 to Clare’s 1 – 5.

The writing was on the wall at this stage as Cork were dominant
in all the pivotal positions of centre back, centre forward and
midfield. Sally Glynn and Eimear O’Connor did Trojan work in the
midfield area but received very little support for their efforts.
The Cork midfield pairing in contrast were always supported by
a covering half back or half forward and this made the difference.
Cork, to Clare’s relief shot, thirteen first half wides – so the
game remained competitive to half time. Of note however was the
statistic that from twenty first half Clare kick outs Clare only
won possession on three occasions.

Clare’s second – half demise began from the throw in and by the
fortieth minute they were 2 – 10 to 1 – 5 in arrears. Worse was
to Come as Cork now gained possession and scored at will and by
the fiftieth minute they were 2 – 15 to 1 – 6 to the good with
Clare’s point coming from Niamh O’Dea. Cork added two further
points before O’Dea goaled for the Banner on 54 minutes. Cork
finished with a flurry however and tacked on an unanswered 2 –
2 before the final whistle.

The Clare team, management and supporters will be very disappointed
with this poor display. In truth Clare had only a handful of players
that looked real county material. These included Niamh O’Dea,
Megan Hough, Louise Woods, Sally Glynn and Eimear O’Connor. Laurie
Ryan also acquitted herself well when introduced and full back
Aoife Murphy did her best in the face of a massive onslaught.
Apart from the first goal Siobhán Talty was solid between
the posts but her tactical kicking at kickouts will have to be
improved upon.

All in all though a poor night for Clare Ladies Football. The
only solace to the team is that they are finalists and favourites
to retain their Munster B crown.

Clare: Siobhán Talty (Miltown), Laura Brennan (The Banner),
Aoife Murphy (Doora-Barefield), Miriam Frawley (Kilmihil), Louise
Woods (The Banner), Catherine Danagher (Wolfe Tones), Sarah Bohannon
(Shannon Gaels), Sally Glynn (Cooraclare), Eimear O’Connor (The
Banner), Katie Curtin (Miltown), Lisa Loughnane (Clooney-Quin),
Niamh O’Dea (The Banner), Aoife Davoren (The Banner), Megan Hough
(The Banner), Ailish Considine (Kilmihil).

Scorers: Megan Hough (The Banner) 1 – 5, Niamh O’Dea (The Banner)
1 – 2.

Subs: Laurie Ryan(The Banner) for Katie Curtin, Sinéad
Sexton (Miltown) for Lisa Loughnane, Niamh Pender (Miltown) for
Ailish Considine.

Referee: A Philips (Limerick)



Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs