Dublin and Cork win provincial titles

Dublin and Cork win provincial titles

Dublin dethroned Laois at Dr Cullen Park in Carlow on Sunday to capture the TG4 Ladies Leinster Senior Football Championship crown for the first time since 2005.

The Sky Blues ran out 1-15 to 0-15 winners to book a place in the All-Ireland quarter finals, with Laois sent to the qualifiers.

Sinéad Aherne's goal after just six minutes proved crucial as Dublin led by 1-07 to 0-08 at half-time and held off the O'Moore County in the second half to reclaim the title.

Aherne's goal was a scrappy effort as she fisted the ball to the net but Dublin cared little as this crucial effort provided the platform for an eventual three-point win.

Dublin, Division 2 champions last year, achieved their goal of remaining in Division 1 this season and winning the provincial crown is another fantastic achievement.

Dublin had good attacking contributions from Lindsey Davey, Anne Marie Murphy, Ciara Murphy and Natalia Hyland while in defence, full back Noelle Comyn and centre-back Denise Masterson were in particularly good form.

Laois were best served by midfielder Tracy Lawlor, who chipped in with six points, and attacking trio Martha Kirwan, Aileen O'Loughlin and Gemma O'Connor, who scored a brace of points each.

Meanwhile, All-Ireland Champions Cork powered to a comprehensive victory over Kerry in the TG4 Munster Ladies Senior Football Final in Páirc Uí Rinn on Saturday afternoon.

Making their 2008 championship debut, the Rebelettes repeated their National League final victory over their provincial rivals with a comprehensive 13-point victory.

Cork began in blistering fashion and by the end of the first quarter; they led by 0-8 to 0-2.

The complexion of the game when Kerry hit back with a goal from wing-back Mairead Finnegan before Cork rallied to lead comfortably by 0-14 to 1-3.

Kerry responded again with a penalty from Patrice Dennehy but Cork still held a four-point half-time advantage, 0-14 to 2-04.

Cork regained total control on the resumption and an air of inevitability descended over the second half.

The home side added further gloss to the scoreline when Valerie Mulcahy converted a late penalty.

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs