Dublin ladies beat Kildare to reach TG4 Leinster Final

ladies’ reach the TG4 Leinster final


Dublin 2-18 Kildare 2-9

Dublin qualified for the TG4 Leinster final yesterday when they
overcame the strong challenge of Kildare in Naomh Peregrine, Clonsilla.
Reigning junior All-Ireland champions, Kildare were beaten by
Dublin in the earlier round, but a narrow defeat to Meath the
previous week boosted their hopes, particularly as Meath beat
Laois in the first semi-final on 16th July. Dublin opted to play
with the slight breeze in the first half and Sinead Aherne opened
the account with a point in the second minute. They led by three
points to two when Niamh Hurley scored the first of her goals
from a good delivery from Louise Kelly. Kildare won a penalty
that was initially saved by Cliodhna O’Connor in the Dublin goal,
but Kildare captain, Simone Gilabert, reacted quickest and made
no mistake on the rebound. And Kildare goaled again, through Gillian
Behan in the 24th minute, leaving the score at 1-8 to 2-3 in Dublin’s
favour, but only just. Elaine Dillon and Gilabert added to Kildare’s
tally, followed by a Louise Kelly point in the final minute of
the first half, leaving the score at 1-9 to 2-5.

Dublin made two changes at half-time, when Lyndsay Davey and Joanne
O’Sullivan replaced Angie McNally and Sorcha Farrelly. Aisling
Jennings opened the scoring for Kildare to level the game but
Sinead Aherne put Dublin in front again with a point from a free.
Dublin then raised the intensity and started to dominate the game
and scored 4 unanswered points, following some very good defensive
from the forwards, particularly Davey. Niamh Hurley scored her
second goal in the 24th minute, and, despite points from Gilabert
and a Tracy Noone free, Joanne O’Sullivan’s great run from the
right half back position resulted in the game’s final score, 2-18
to 2-9.

Dublin now face Meath in the Leinster semi-final on Sunday 31st
July in Dr Cullen Park, Carlow.

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs