Faultless Dublin destroy Laois

Dublin 6:21 Laois 0:04

It was a Laois team that came in hope rather than expectation when they faced Dublin today in the TG4 Leinster Senior Championship final but those hopes were extinguished almost immediately as Dublin scored their first goal and set the tempo for the rest of the match.

This game was over almost as soon as it started as Dublin gained possession from the throw in and attacked with the ball ending up in the Laois net via the boot of Lyndsey Davey. It did not take long for a second goal to arrive this time it was finished by Lindsay Peat who made no mistake. Sinead Aherne then added her first free which meant the entire Dublin full forward line had now scored. Aherne then added two more points before Lindsey Peat struck for her second goal ending the game as a contest despite the best efforts of Laois keeper, Ciamh Dollard. Tracy Lawlor provided some respite for Laois with 2 pointed frees either side of Noelle Healy’s first point for Dublin but Healy struck again using her searing pace down the Laois right flank and burying the ball into the top corner of Dollard’s net. Davey and Aherne added further points for Dublin followed by Niamh McEvoy’s first point and then Noelle Healy again outpaced the entire Laois defence and elected to fist the ball over the bar but the ball came back off the post to Carla Rowe who finished to the net for her first score of the match. It was a Dublin masterclass in the first half which was rounded off by another point for the faultless Lyndsey Davey that left them leading 5:09 to 0:02 at half time.

The second half got underway with Dublin showing no signs of letting up as Sinead Aherne pointed her first free. Then came the score of the match started by Cliodhna O’Connor in the Dublin goal sweeping the length of the pitch involving 7 Dublin players and finished over the bar by Sinead Aherne. Aherne then added another free before Laois got their third score of the match, all coming through Tracey Lawlor frees. 2 time All Star Sinead Goldrick made a welcome return to the Dublin side after recovering from a knee injury and made her presence felt after her introduction in the second half with her first point from wingback. Goldrick was then fouled to give an easy free for Aherne to convert and then the captain drove forward to score her second point. Noelle Healty then added another point with further points coming from Davey, Masterson and Goldrick’s third before Davey cracked home her second goal. Laois did try to push forward and forced a couple of good saves from O’Connor but Siobhan Woods and Carla Rowe both pointed before the last score, and Laois’s first from play, came through Charlotte Delaney as the referees whistle finally put Laois out of their misery.

A fantastic display from Dublin with Player of the Match, Lyndsey Davey at the heart of everything good that happened but truly they were not tested today and know that bigger days lie ahead as Dublin made it 3 in a row and proved their championship credentials.

Dublin Scorers: Lyndsey Davey 2-3, Lindsey Peat2-1, Sinead Aherne0-06 4f, Noelle Healy1-02, Niamh McEvoy0-01, Carla Rowe1-01, Sinead Goldrick0:03, Denise Masterson 0-01, Siobhan Woods 0-01
Laois Scorers: Tracey Lawlor 0-03 3f, Charlotte Delaney 0-01

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs