Kilkerrin/Clonberne claim TESCO Connacth IFC crown



 Kilkerrin Clonberne produced a storming first half display to secure the TECO Connacht Ladies Club IFC title. Mayo’s, Hollymount, battled bravely right up until the final whistle but found the gap too much after the Galway women’s fantastic early dominance.

KILKERRIN/CLONBERNE                                1-11

HOLLYMOUNT                                   2-5




KILKERRRIN/CLONBERNE were scarcely in danger of relinquishing the ladies football intermediate Connacht crown despite the treacherous conditions they faced at Elvery’s McHale Park in Castlebar on Sunday.


Kilkerrin/Clonberne boss Niall Grogan had a remarkable midfield in the form of stalwart Annette Clarke who captained Galway to senior All-Ireland Galway glory in 2004; and Louise Ward – who helped Galway to an All-Ireland under-16 crown earlier this year. Both dominated from the offset as if they had played with each other for years.


Aided by the strong wind in the first half, the Galway champions quickly established a 0-5 to nil advantage thanks to well-taken points from Lisa Gannon, Lisa Walsh, the magnificent Olivia Divilly and two from Clarke.


The Mayo kingpins were struggling and Kilkerrin/Clonberne could have been much further in front only for the difficult conditions, as Hollymount’s only bright spark was Yvonne Byrne who finally got them off the mark with two points after twenty minutes.


To end a rare scoring drought which lasted over fourteen minutes as the pitch got even heavier with the torrential rain, Olivia Divilly ended a superb solo run with a cracking goal, leaving several Hollymount players in her wake to give her side a powerful six point lead as half time approached.


But in injury time, Hollymount were handed a precious lifeline when Stacey Nevin was fouled going through on goal in a rare attack. Although Byrne’s penalty came back off the crossbar she caught the rebound and held off the challenge of Kilkerrin/Clonberne goalkeeper Lisa Murphy to lash home to suddenly make it 1-5 to 1-2 at the break.


Determined to contain any early Hollymount fightback after the restart, Kilkerrin/Clonberne came out with all guns blazing and hit three early scores on the bounce thanks to Clarke, Divilly and Louise Ward.

Sarah Tierney hit back for Hollymount who were struggling once more, as the game again hit a sluggish patch with the difficult conditions to blame.


Lisa Walsh and Divilly further extended Kilkerrin/Clonberne’s lead, and they almost looked comfortable, before two late lapses in concentration arrived as firstly Aimme Bell cut open the Kilkerrin/Clonberne defence to race through but Murphy produced a fine save.


Two minutes later however Murphy was picking the ball out of the net when Byrne launched a high free goalwards, and as it dipped in the wind it somehow bounced straight into the net to narrow the gap to four at 1-10 to 2-3.


Divilly’s pointed free was Kilkerrin/Clonberne’s last score with five minutes remaining, and despite late Hollymount kicks over the bar from Byrne and Danielle Delaney, Grogan’s outfit had done enough and can now look forward to an All-Ireland semi-final.


KILKERRIN/CLONBERNE: L Murphy; A Miskell, A McStay, S Gormally; A Walsh, N Ward, A Mahoney; A Clarke (0-3), L Ward (0-1); O Divilly (1-4, 1 free), L Gannon (0-1), A Heverin; S Ward (A Boyle 39mins), C Heverin, L Walsh (0-2).


HOLLYMOUNT: P Gallgher; A Gill, R Tierney, Aishling Bell; C Tierney, C Walsh, E Farragher; S Tierney (0-1), A Carroll (S Nevin 24mins); Aimee Bell, Y Byrne (2-3, 1 free), S Delaney (D Delaney 50mins 0-1); A Shally (M Brett 51mins), C Carroll, E Murphy.


REFEREE: P Fahy (Roscommon)


Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs