Leinster come out tops again at interprovincials

Leinster come out tops again at interprovincials

It was another great weekend of action at St Lomans
Mullingar as all four Provinces battled it out for the Mick Talbot
Cup. Saturday afternoon in glorious conditions the action began
with all four sides playing each other. 

The opening round seen Ulster shock Munster with goals from Niamh
Kindlon, Kathy Donnelly and Kyla Treanor helping them to a six
point victory. At the same time Leinster and Connacht were doing
battle in a thriller and in the end Leinster came out tops by
two points helped by a Mary Nevin goal.

The football was equally as good in round two with Leinster overcoming
Munster by six point thanks again to a goal from Dublin captain
Mary Nevin. Ulster made sure of their final place with a storming
second half to see off Connacht where Michaela Downey fired in
a goal in either half. With the finals already decided the final
round turned out to be just a matter of playing the games, as
they were dress rehearsals for what was to follow on Sunday. They
saw Munster topple Connacht and Leinster cruise past Ulster.

It was now onto Sunday and finals day. First up was the Shield
decider between Connacht and Munster. The Westerners had much
the better of the opening period and deserved their 1-08 to 0-07
interval lead. The goal coming from Christina Heffernan from the
penalty spot after just three minutes. After some stern words
from Michael Ryan, the Southerners were a transformed side after
the restart. Connacht did pull six clear before the comeback began
inspired by Limericks Dympna O’Brien who rattled in 1-04 during
the second period. Their other major came from Valerie Mulcahy
as she fisted home twelve minutes from time.


Munster: 2-17 Connacht 1-12 Scorers: Munster: Dympna
O’Brien 1-06, Valerie Mulcahy 1-02, Sarah O’Connor 0-03, Juliette
Murphy 0-02, Amanda Murphy, Mary O’Donnell, Michelle McGrath and Geraldine
O’Flynn 0-01 each

Connacht: Christina Heffernan 1-06, Eimear McGlade 0-03, Marcella
Heffernan 0-02, Geraldine Connelly 0-01


In the Cup final it brought together the first ever meeting of
Leinster and Ulster in the final. With high expectations of been
a cracking decider it was all but over by the interval as pre tournament
favourites Leinster stormed into a 2-11 to 0-03 lead. That healthy
lead was helped by goals from Aisling Jennings (19th min) and a
cracking strike from Brianne Leahy (29th min). Kildare’s Jennings
hit 1-03 during a dominant opening period. As expected, Ulster battled
much better in the second half and held the eventual winners to
just a single point for the second thirty minutes. That score coming
from player of the tournament Geraldine Doherty. Ulster tried to
get back into contention but the comeback never looked on despite
a battling display. Leinster always looked in control and it was
Gemma Fay that raised the Mick Talbot Cup when all the action was
done and dusted. The scoreboard at the end of the 30th Interprovincial
tournament read Leinster 2-12 Ulster 0-09 Scorers:

Leinster: Aisling Jennings 1-03, Brianne Leahy 1-02, Geraldine
Doherty 0-04, Mary Nevin, Tracey Lawlor and Grainne Nulty 0-01 each

Ulster: Michaela Downey 0-04, Kyla Trainor 0-02, Niamh Kindlon,
Mairead Tennyson and Cathy Donnelly 0-01 each.

Player of the Tournament: Geraldine Doherty (Meath & Leinster)

Alan Gunn (PR Committee)

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs