Mayo Clinch Semi Final Spot

Mayo overcame Dublin in a tense encounter at Naomh Mearnog this afternoon. Both teams knew that a place in the semi final was at stake but it was the Connacht side that dealt better with the blustery conditions to emerge with a fine 1-10 to 0-08 victory.

Mayo were the quickest to settle and they had two points on the board before Dublin were able to get any sustained possession thanks to good scores from Aileen Gilroy and Niamh Kelly who benefitted from great work by Clare Egan. Dublin’s first score came from Lyndsey Davey who struck a good point on the run but again Mayo replied well with a great score from corner back, Kathryn Sullivan. However, Dublin settled thanks to the growing influence of Noelle Healy in the Dublin midfield. Healy scored two points herself as Denise McKenna added two points from frees and Leah McCaffrey added a fine score after turning over Mayo in their own half back line. However Mayo replied well with the half time whistle fast approaching scoring the last two points of the half from Aileen Gilroy and another from Deirdre Doherty to leave the scores at half time Dublin 0-6 to Mayo’s 0-5.

Mayo came out in the second half with a stiff breeze at their backs and they quickly started to take advantage of the elements as Cora Staunton grabbed her first two scores of the day with both coming from play. The industrious Fiona McHale got the score that her hard work deserved but it could have been more as she collected the ball after a fantastic run and strike off the post from Aileen Gilroy. Cora Staunton added her third score before the decisive moment of the match. Staunton stood over a free some 45 yards out from goal and her lofted free carried in the breeze and was saved by Dublin keeper, Cliodhna O’Connor, who was unlucky to see the rebound fall to Niamh Kelly who swept the ball into the Dublin net.

Dublin responded well after the setback and second half substitute, Siobhan Woods, made her presence felt as she forced Mayo keeper, Yvonne Byrne, into a good save after a great run. Woods again made a similar run moments later and as she bore down on goal she was fouled for a penalty. Natalia Hyland was given the task of taking the penalty but her powerful drive went over the bar for Dublin’s first score of the half. With time running out a player from either side were sent to the sinbin for the rest of the match as Elaine Kelly and Kathryn Sullivan both received yellow cards. There were only two more scores for either team as Cora Staunton got a typical score before Noelle Healy got the last score of the game for Dublin to leave the final score 1-10 to 0-08 in favour of the visitors.

Mayo now advance to the semi-final stage where they will face Monaghan who were extremely impressive throughout the campaign with a 100% record. Cork and Laois will meet in the other semi final as all four teams search for the first pieces of silverwear for the season.

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs