New era for Tipperary begins with Win

Tipperary under the new management of John Leahy, Mullinahone had eight of the starting line out from the last year’s All Ireland team.  There was a welcome return for Sinead Delahunty, Siobhan Condon and Kelly Hackett who were part of the All-Ireland team panel while Aisling O’Connor and Bernie Ryan made their debuts in goal and midfield respectively.

Scoring was to start early in the game with both teams eager to show their dominance.  Niamh Moore, Kilmore was first to find the posts with a point in the second minute of the game but Tipperary’s Lorraine O’Shea netted the ball in the third minute to give Tipp the lead they would retain throughout the game.

Tipperary registered three more quick points to Wexford’s one point before the freeflow of the game would return for the next ten minutes when neither team registered a score.  In the nineteenth minute Gillian O’Brien pointed the ball for her second score of the game.

Wexford’s Fiona Bennett from the kick out found the net for their last score of the first half while Tipperary’s Edith Carroll registered two points and Gillian O’Brien got her third.  At the break the score line was Tipperary 1-7 Wexford 1-2

Wexford again registered the first score of the half with a Katie Redmond point from within a minute of the ball being thrown in.  It took nine minutes for the next score of the game which came from a free taken by Mairead Morrissey.  Kelly Hackett registered Tipp’s next point when she collected the ball from a missed free chance by Mairead Morrissey.  Wexford responded well adding three more points to their score line to come within four points of Tipperary within ten minutes in the game.  It was looking like anyone’s game until Mairead Morrissey collected the ball in midfield with only the goals in sight. 

The Wexford goalie, Katie Sludds came out to meet her resulting in a free for Tipperary.  Jennifer Grant took the 13 metre free with only the back of the net in mind and duly raised the green flag to put the Premier Ladies back into a comfortable lead.  Gillian O’Brien and Edith Carroll added another point each to the score line.  Due to an injury to Mairead Morrissey there was approximately five minutes injury time which Wexford used to kick the last three points of the game to leave Tipperary winners by a six point margin. The full time score Tipperary 2-12 Wexford 1-9


Tipperary Team

Aisling O’Connor (Cahir), Sinead Delahunty (Foxrock/Cabinteely), Barbara Ryan (Moyle Rovers – Captain), Rachel Kenneally (Aherlow), Siobhan Condon (Aherlow), Claire Carroll (Galtee Rovers), Maeve Hackett (Moycarkey Borris), Jennifer Grant (Brian Borus), Bernie Ryan (Upperchurch), Niamh Lonergan (Moyle Rovers), Mairead Morrissey (Brian Borus), Lorraine O’Shea (Mullinahone), Gillian O’Brien (Moyle Rovers), Kelly Hackett (Moycarkey Borris) Edith Carroll (Galtee Rovers)

Subs used – Brid Condon for Maeve Hackett, Emer Myles for Bernie Ryan, Shauna Ryan for Sinead Delahunty


Scorers – Edith Carroll 0-4, Gillian O’Brien 0-4, Jennifer Grant 1-0, Lorraine O’Shea 1-0, Mairead Morrissey 0-2 (frees), Niamh Lonergan 0-1, Kelly Hackett 0-1


Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs