Omagh Edge out Ardboe



Omagh St Enda’s 0-13
Ardboe O Donavan Rossa 0-8

The ladies of Omagh St Enda’s showed resilience, battling qualities and experience to edge to a second Tyrone intermediate football title at Kildress with a 0-13 to 0-8 win over Ardboe. It proved to be a thrilling encounter that pivoted on a knife edge before Omagh eventually pressed home in the final ten minutes but the St Enda’s had to be at their best to secure the title they last won in 2011.
Omagh led 0-7 to 0-4 at the break but that fails to translate how close this game was. Omagh had raced into a 5-0 lead with Hayley Ballard 0-2, Cara McCrossan, Colleen McCullagh and Christiane Hunter with points. Ardboe, who lost to Cappagh in last years final had chances and the Omagh defence were pinned back for long periods with Rebeka Forbes Mairead Quinnand Hannah Lydon on target with fine scores as they hit a further six wides. Omagh goalkeeper Ann Cunningham having to be at their best.

Omagh tried to ignite the second half early on but chances went a begging as Ardboe closed down the skillful Omagh attack with McCrossan, McCullagh and Eireann McSorley getting little change from Muldoon, the Quinns Maria, Hannah and the superb Karen with Ciara Rocks.otstanding. The Loughshore girls rattled over three points leaving a point between the sides after McElduff pointed again. There was a call for leaders and Omagh had several who stepped up to the plate, Christiane Hunter had an outstanding performance throughout but especially at this crucial stage, Nicola Donnelly showed all her experience with Gormley, Ward and Kelly working hard. Ardboe crip in the middle with Chrissie Devlin in charge was weakened as Omagh upped their game and created openings but it was tough for the free scoring forward unit…..
The Ardboe rearguard were hard to break down but Omagh found chinks, the running defenders opened the door and Clodagh Mullan, McCullagh 0-2 Shaunna O’Neill and Terri McCullagh were on target while Ballard’s cracking shot came of the post and goalkeeper Mallaghan to go wide.
The Omagh defence were brilliant in the final ten minutes and all over the park the St Enda’s side took the game to a new tempo , in the end they only conceded a single point in that final quarter.
Mickey Rea’s side were worthy finalists, they showed great spirit throughout and on another day could well have sealed a win but this was a determined well drilled Omagh who now face the Cavan champions next month

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs