Roscommon & Meath Can't be Seperated


Venue: Dunganny Centre of Excellence
Date: Sunday 19th February 

A last minute free from substitute Joanna Byrne ensured Meath got a share of the spoils in Dunganny after a 1-12 to 2-9 draw   with Roscommon on Sunday afternoon. Trailing by three points at the break the Royals gave a good fighting performance to draw level and keep their unbeaten run in this year’s League campaign.

With just three minutes on the clock the away side led by two 0-02 to 0-01 with Jenny Higgins and Caoilionn Beirne scoring for the visitors in between a Meath score from Bláthnaid Keogh. The first goal of the game came just moments after when midfielder Joanne Cregg got the vital touch to send the ball over the head of the onrushing Meath goalkeeper Orlagh McLaughlin. Both teams traded two points apiece with Keogh and Fiona O’Neill pointing for the home side and Higgins bagging herself two for Roscommon.

Emma White pointed a 13m free for Meath before McLaughlin pulled off a fantastic save in the Royal net to keep her side in close contention. The remainder of the half continued in similar fashion with both teams trading points. Three Meath points from White, Niamh O’Sullivan and a fantastic solo effort from Vikki Wall were cancelled out by efforts from Aisling MacAuliffe and Gillian Dufficy to leave three between the teams at the interval.


Half-Time: Meath 0-7 Roscommon 1-7.


The home side were on level terms shortly after the restart when White was fouled in the square and awarded a penalty which she dispatched to the bottom corner. For the first time in the match the Royals took the lead when substitutes Laura Gilsenan and Megan Thynne combined beautifully to find Niamh Gallogly in space and her effort sailed straight over the black spot.


The lead didn’t last long and within minutes the game was level once more when Roscommon substitute Jenny Downey pointed from a free. Gilsenan kicked Meath back into the lead with a free before Roscommon were awarded a penalty for a foul on Higgins. Downey made no mistake from the spot kick and when Martina Freyne pointed her side had a three point advantage with just eight minutes remaining.


It was the Royal captain who stepped up when her team needed her most splitting the posts and with two minutes left Wall followed suit to keep the Meath hopes alive. With the clock about to strike the hour mark Byrne kicked over a free to leave the teams on level terms before referee Paul Burke blew the final whistle.


Meath have now secured two wins and a draw in their opening three matches in the Lidl National Football League and next week they travel to Tipperary in what is sure to be a crucial test. Venue for next SATURDAYS game on February 25th is Sean Treacy Park, Tipperary Town. The game will throw in at 2pm.

Lidl National Football League

Division 3 – Round 3
Half-time: Meath 0-7 Roscommon 1-7
Full-time: Meath 1-12 Roscommon 2-9

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs