TG4 Ladies SFC Roundup


TG4 Ladies All-Ireland Ladies SFC round-up


By Daragh Ó Conchúir

The last three qualification spots for the quarter-finals of the TG4 All-Ireland Ladies SFC were filled over the weekend, with Kildare, Tyrone and Monaghan joining Cork, Armagh, Mayo, Dublin and Laois.

Kildare produced a barnstorming finish in Ratoath to secure a 1-10 to 0-10 victory over Meath, proving that their Leinster semi-final victory over the Royals was no fluke.

Meath led by two points with 10 minutes remaining but the Lady Lilies, who had gotten themselves back into contention with a goal from Simone Gilabert, hit five points in that period to secure a place in the last eight for the first time in their history.

Two goals from 17-year-old Ciara McAnespie propelled Monaghan to surprise 3-9 to 2-11 win over Galway in Clones on Saturday. The Farney women team led at the interval by 2-5 to 1-6 courtesy of goals from outstanding centre-forward Niamh Kindlon and a well-converted penalty by the precocious McAnespie.

Galway, handicapped by the absence of Niamh Fahey due to international soccer commitments, kept in touch thanks to an Annette Clarke goal and when Helen McHugh hit the net almost immediately after the resumption, it was looking good for the westerners as they moved four points clear.

They could not shake off their resolute opponents however and the speedy McAnespie, whose mother Brenda won two All-Irelands with Monaghan in the ‘90s, raced clear to strike the match-winning goal five minutes from time.

Tyrone secured their quarter-final spot with a hard-fought 3-12 to 2-10 victory over last year’s All-Ireland junior champions. Once again, full-forward Gemma Begley was their star turn, scoring two first half goals including an immaculately placed penalty into the bottom corner of the net

Meanwhile Dublin began well with two early points against Mayo but the Connacht champions dominated the remainder of the half thanks to five Cora Staunton points and a Diane O’Hora goal to lead at the interval 1-8 to 0-3.

Dublin provided a much stiffer challenge after the resumption but wasted numerous scoring opportunities, while at the other end Staunton finished with a tally of nine points to secure a 1-13 to 0-10 success.

Waterford will go into the relegation play-off after losing to Kerry. The Kingdom overturned their Munster championship reverse to the Déise on a 2-11 to 1-6 scoreline.

Sarah O’Connor showed what a loss she had been to the Kingdom by weighing in with 1-4, while Geraldine O’Shea also goaled. Michelle Ryan goaled for Waterford but they could only manage one point in the second half.

The Decies will be joined by Roscommon, who managed just one point against a rampant Cork team that took the field without any of their dual players or captain Juliet Murphy. Emer Casey registered that score just five minutes into the game but Mary Collins’ team ran riot thereafter, with Valerie Mulcahy clocking up 1-4, and Brid Stack and Laura McMahon also prominent.

Donegal and Down were also condemned to a battle to avoid the drop to intermediate football, after losses to Laois and Armagh respectively.

The O’Moores had a comfortable 3-12 to 1-5 success over Donegal, goals from Martha and Nóirín Kirwan and Eimear Fitzpatrick sending them on their way. Joanne de Ward got a consolation goal for the Tír Conaill girls.

Down pushed Armagh all the way before finally giving best. Aileen Matthews was in free-scoring form early on for the Ulster champions but goals from Caroline O’Hanlon, Laura Brown and a late Alma O’Donnell penalty settled the issue.



Group 1: Mayo 1-13 Dublin 0-10; Kerry 2-11 Waterford 1-6

Group 2: Monaghan 3-9 Galway 2-11; Cork 3-19 Roscommon 0-1

Group 3: Tyrone 3-12 Sligo 2-10


Group 3: Laois 3-12 Donegal 1-5

Group 4: Kildare 1-10 Meath 0-10; Armagh 3-10 Down 0-10


Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs