TG4 Ulster Finals Match Reports

TG4 Ulster Finals Match Reports


TG4 ULSTER SENIOR FINAL Armagh 3-14 Tyrone 2-9

A crowd of over 2000 witnessed Armagh come from four points down
to retain their TG4 Ulster title in Clones yesterday. Tyrone had
a dream start with Gemma Begley finding the net with just two
and half minutes gone. The Red Hand girls then extended their
lead when Jolene Donnelly fired over in the 5th minute. In the
sixth minute Armagh where awarded a penalty when Lynda Donnelly
fouled Laura Brown. Orchard midfielder Alma O Donnell droved the
penalty low to the corner to give Elaine Mallaghan no chance.
Aileen Matthews sent over a free a minute later to tie the game.
Armagh then had a purple patch when they hit six unanswered points.
Mairead Tennyson, Maebh Moriarty, Shauna O Hagan, Alma O Donnell
and Aileen Matthews (2) doing the damage.

In the 25th minute Cathy Donnelly then hit Tyrone first point
for twenty minutes and with time almost up Sarah Connolly pointed
a free to leave the midway score 1-7 to 1-3 in favour of the holders
Armagh. Tyrone started the second half in whirlwind fashion. Jolene
Donnelly pointed with just 28 seconds on the clock. Aileen Matthews
and Cathy Donnelly then exchanged points and with just four minutes
gone Donnelly scored a cracking goal to bring the sides level.
Like true champions Armagh responded. Matthews hit her fifth point
of the game and Alma O Donnell then scored her second goal, finishing
to a super run with a well taken goal. Tyrone stayed in touch
with a couple of Connolly points. Mairead Tennyson’s second point
of the game put Armagh three ahead entering the final quarter.
Armagh extended their lead when Matthews fired over her sixth
point and then with eleven minutes left Maebh Moriarty was left
all alone inside the 13m line and when the ball was played into
her she made no mistake rattling the Tyrone net.

Selina Oguz and Katrina Murphy added further points for Tyrone
however Matthews and Sharon Duncan also fired over for Armagh
to give the Orchard girls a well deserved eight point win.

Tyrone – E. Mallaghan, E. Teague, M. Kelly, M. Gallagher, S. Mc
Garvey, L. Donnelly, N. Woods, S. Donnelly, L. Meehan, J. Donnelly
(1-2), C. Donnelly (0-2), A. Dooher, G. Begley (1-0), K. Murphy
(0-1), S. Connolly(0-3) Subs: C. Mc Aliskey, K. Daly, S. Mc Laughlin,
S. Oguz (0-1)

Armagh – F. Mc Atamney, C. Marley, D. Toal, O. Murtagh, R. O Mahony,
B. O Donnell, S. Mc Cleary, A. O Donnell (2-1), C. O Hanlon, M.
Tennyson (0-2), M. Moriarty (1-1), S. O Hagan (0-1), M. Mc Alinden,
L. Brown, A. Matthews (0-7) Subs: S. Duncan (0-1)

Referee S. Gilsenan (Monaghan)

TG4 ULSTER INTERMEDIATE FINAL Cavan 2-13 Fermanagh 1-10

A personal tally of 1-7 from player of the match Aisling Doonan
helped Cavan to the first ever Ulster intermediate title yesterday.
The Breffni side were dealt a major blow before the game with
the news that Bronagh Sherdian had broke a bone in her foot. Despite
that news the Breffni girls made an excellent start. Aisling Doonan
(2) and Sharon Cassidy had given them an early lead and then in
the ninth minute the excellent Doonan had her jersey pulled under
the nose of the referee and the Tyrone official had no hesitation
in awarding the penalty which centre forward Doonan expertly dispatched.
Two further frees fired over by Doonan gave Cavan and eight point
lead entering the second quarter. In the 18th minute Eimir Martin
raised a massive cheer as she sent over Fermanagh’s first point
of the game however the score was quickly cancelled as two minutes
later Doonan fired over another free. In the twenty first minute
Caroline Little pointed a free and then four minutes later Cavan
had Patricia Lynch sin binned. Sharon Little added another point
for Fermanagh however Cavan responded with a couple of fine scores
from Grainne Smith and Ciara Reilly. In the final minute Fermanagh
where thrown a lifeline when Eimear Martin got onto the end of
a long ball and knocked by the advancing keeper for a sweet goal.
Half time score Fermanagh 1-3 Cavan 1-8.

Sharon Little and Patricia Lynch traded points early in the second
half. Points from Eimear Martin and Kyla Mc Manus cut the deficit
to three points with ten minutes gone. Sharon Cassidy and Sharon
Little then exchanged to leave the score at the three quarter
stage 1-10 to 1-7 in Cavan’s favour. Entering the final quarter
Caroline Little narrowed the gap to two however Cavan hit back
with Doonan firing over her sixth point of the afternoon. Then
in the 49th minute Cavan delivered the killer blow. Doonan found
substitute Pamela Crowe with a beautiful pass and the St. Finabarr’s
players layed the ball of to Maria Smith who fired to the net.
Fermanagh managed another point through Caroline Little however
even when Elaine Costain Cronin were sin binned Cavan still managed
a couple of points through Clare Murtagh and Doonan. The last
score of the game fell to Shauna Hamilton but it was much too
little too late.

Fermanagh: F. Maguire, C. Woods, K. McManus (0-1), E. McGovern
(Capt), T.Hughes, G. Fitzpatrick, N. Curran, C. Little (0-3),
S. Woods, A. McBrien, M. Connolly, D. Maguire, E. Martin (1-2),
S. Little (0-3), S.Hamilton (0-1) Subs: A. Gallagher, B. M Girr,
A. Johnston

Cavan: K. Baxter, S. McGorry, C. Reilly(0-1), E. Farrelly, M.
Smith (1-0) , A. Cronyn, P. Lynch (0-1), A. Harton, C. Murtagh
(0-1), R. Murphy, A. Doonan (1-7), C. Smith, B. Boylan, S. Cassidy
(0-2), G. Smith (0-1) Subs: C. Kearns, E. Costain, E. Reilly,
P. Crowe

Referee – S. Mc Intyre (Tyrone)


Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs