Thrilling Weekend in Ladies Football

GALWAY held onto their TG4 Connacht ladies senior football championship crown on Sunday afternoon and Monaghan claimed four-in-a-row in Ulster, as the two remaining provincial finals were decided.

Galway scored a 0-16 to 1-9 victory against Mayo at a sweltering Tuam Stadium – with Edel Concannon hitting 0-6 for the Tribeswomen.

A 1-3 haul from Aileen Gilroy and 0-5 from Cora Staunton was not enough for Tesco Homegrown Division 1 finalists Mayo as Galway held firm.

Mayo blew a ten-point lead against Galway in last year’s provincial showpiece but they were never allowed to build up that kind of advantage on this occasion as boss Barry Downey had his homework done.

Galway were 0-6 to 0-1 ahead midway through the first half before Gilroy netted to bring Mayo back into contention.

At half-time, Galway led by 0-9 to 1-3 and they held out comfortably in the second half as temperatures and tempers soared.

In Ulster, Monaghan claimed a fourth successive provincial crown with a comfortable 4-16 to 1-10 victory over Tyrone at Celtic Park.

The Farney girls led by 2-6 to 0-5 at half-time but at the end of the first quarter, the sides were level at 0-5 apiece.

Monaghan bagged their opening goal in the 19th minute from Therese McNally before they struck again four minutes later, with leading scorer Caoimhe Mohan (1-5) on target for a second green flag.

In the second half, Monaghan hit 1-7 on the trot, with the penalty goal netted by goalkeeper Linda Martin.

Gemma Begley, scorer of 1-5 for Tyrone, responded with a Tyrone goal eleven minutes from time but from Monaghan’s next attack, Cora Courtney responded in kind.

On Saturday, Kerry ended Cork’s hopes of ten-in-a-row in Munster, with a sensational victory in the TG4 Senior Football Championship final in Castletownroche.

The Kingdom were crowned Munster champions after scoring a 1-16 to 1-15 victory over the All-Ireland holders.

It was Kerry’s second victory over Cork in this summer’s championship, after they won by 3-10 to 3-8 in the first round.

Cork had the chance to equalise at the death but Geraldine O’Flynn’s free bounced agonisingly off the upright and William O’Sullivan’s Kerry survived to book their place in the All-Ireland quarter-finals.

Kerry started well and were 0-7 to 0-5 clear after 20 minutes, before Cork missed a host of chances.

At half-time, a point from Orla Finn brought the Leesiders to within touching distance, as they trailed by 0-6 to 0-7.

The sides were neck and neck during the early second half exchanges before Briege Corkery netted for Cork.

But Kerry went ahead again when Patrice Dennehy netted and they would hold out for a famous win.

In Leinster, meanwhile, Dublin retained their provincial crown with a comfortable 3-14 to 0-9 victory over Meath, in what was a repeat of last year’s final.

Noelle Healy won the player of the match award for Dublin as the Jackies produced a strong second half performance to retain the provincial silverware at Dr. Cullen Park in Carlow on Saturday.

Lindsey Peat scored two first half goals for Dublin as they led by 2-6 to 0-6 at half-time.

And Sinead Aherne put the icing on the cake with a third goal for the Metropolitans in the second half.

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs