U14 final - Dublin GAA

U 14 Final

Connaught collected both trophies in the All Ireland Finals set in Lough Ree country today, Saturday 12th June.

First out was the Under 14 “A” Shield between Kildare and Mayo. Kildare had come out second to Dublin in Leinster and made a great game of it against the westerners Mayo, but had to make do with the runners-up medals.

We knew it was time to play the “A” Championship when the No.42 bus pulled up in Kiltoom. The sight of a Dublin Bus double decker didn’t faze the Galwegians though and when the game got under way a little late. They made the first move and put the Dublin defence under pressure. Dublin conceded a free but the shot went wide. Dublin took charge then and replied with a goal from the boot of Aisling O’Leary in the second minute. Galway had the next one on the board – a point. But it was against the run of play as the Jackies eased themselves into the game and seemed to be in charge. Galway’s attempts – and they made a few of them – ended in wides. Dublin were 1-3 to a point to the good when a scramble around the Galway sticks and two superb deflections by Saoirse Burke saved the Tribeswomen from going another goal behind. This finished in an attempt to salvage a point but went wide. Just after the 15 minute mark, Galway’s front end found their range and opened a succession of scores starting with a lovely goal. Although the Dubs went on to score another 3 points before the whistle, it was Galway who were ahead 2-4 to Dublin’s 1-6 at the break.

Cuid a dó started with a salvo from the Jackies and they went ahead again in the first minute with two points, one from a free and another straight back from the kick-out. The Tribeswomen weren’t having any of it and shot in a goal to retake the lead and started a salvo of points of their own. The Jackies were left playing catch-up which they did by the 10th minute. But the Galway girls opened up the Dublin defence again and buried the ball in the back of the net. Then they put another point between the sides. Catch-up time again. It was achievable if the Jackies could manufacture a goal. They nearly did. They did make two more points. But Galway stretched the lead a little more again and when Katie Murphy laid off the ball after a perfect catch and it went into the net in the dying moments of the game, it was too late. Galway had the comfort of an extra point and the journey that started out with 158 girls looking to wear a Dublin Jersey way back in the cold winter was over.

Dublin 3-11 : Galway 4-9

Sign up to our email newsletter


Partners & Supporters





See all LGFAClubs